Tuesday, October 16, 2018

LISTEN

TRIP TO LIBERIA: I will be traveling to Liberia December 6 to 15 with Training Leaders International to teach from the books of Ruth and Jonah and to encourage the Pastors in preaching. If you would like to donate to this trip see banner above on how to donate to my trip.

PRAY WITH ME FOR AFRICA: Corruption and bribery is widespread in Burundi and is worsening. As in most countries in Africa there is a great need for biblically trained leadership for the churches. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only answer to tribal enmity, and nominal shallow Christianity. Pray for this populous country to know their God and follow Jesus with wholeheartedness.
 White color of the X and circle represents peace, green represents the nation's hopes placed on future development and red symbolizes the suffering of the nation during its freedom struggle. The three stars in triangular configuration stand for the three major ethnic groups of Burundi: the Hutu, the Twa and the Tutsi.
  
Listen! Listen is a very important command in the Bible. Listening expects both hearing and obedience, like the parent who says to the disobedient child, "why don't you listen to me". In Psalm 81, God admonishes His people for not listening to Him. There is a sense of sadness in God's voice as He speaks to His beloved people because He must punish them for their unwillingness to listen to Him. "Oh, that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways!" (v13, see also v11 and 8).


Shema Yisrael (Deuteronomy 6.4) means Hear Israel. This twice recited daily prayer is a call for God's people to hear and know and love and obey their God. As Christians we are often called to listen to God and to obey Him. Jesus often said, "he who has ears to hear, let him hear". The judgement of God on Israel was a removal of their capacity to hear (Isaiah 29.10; Romans 11.8). We are called in Hebrews 3 to hear God's voice and not to harden our hearts and live in unbelief. James exhorts us to be quick to hear and slow to speak. (1.19) Revelation closes with this plea, "The Spirit and the Bride say 'Come'. And let the one who hears say 'Come'.
We find in Jesus the perfect listener to God his Father. I love this verse from Isaiah 50.4-5, "The Lord God has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him who is weary. Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious; I turned not backward." These verses remind me of Jesus. Jesus heard and listened to his Father and then taught the people. "So Jesus said to them, 'When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me. And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.”
Are you listening to God? Do you hear what God is saying to you? God speaks as we read and meditate on His Word and spend time in prayer. God the Holy Spirit makes the Word alive if we are willing to listen not just to consider obedience but with the purpose of obedience.
Let us take a little more time to listen to God.

Good Articles This Week:
1) Canadian Win for Free Speech
2) Assessing Bruxy Cavey on the Atonement

No comments:

Post a Comment